St Andrews Brighton Choral Scholarships 2022
Firbank has a long tradition of excellence in music and provides a dynamic and varied music program that includes regular church and concert performances. An appreciation of music in all its forms is encouraged at all levels of the School.
St Andrew’s Brighton Choral Scholarships are offered to girls who wish to enter Firbank from Years 7 to 12. Firbank Grammar students and external candidates are eligible to apply.
The award of a St Andrew’s Brighton Choral Scholarship and the number of scholarships offered will depend on the quality of applicants. The award will be made on the basis of an audition, previous school reports and an interview.
The scholarships are offered from the year of entry to Year 12, subject to a satisfactory annual school record, participation in the School’s co-curricular music program, appropriate conduct, attitude and adherence to School Policies.
Each scholarship holder will be required to be a Chorister in the Choir of St Andrew’s Brighton. As a member of the Choir, the scholarship holder will be subject to the directions and requirements of the Director of Music of St Andrew’s Brighton. In addition, all scholarship applicants must sit the Scholarship examination to be held on Saturday 6 February, 2021.
- Candidates should have previous choral experience. Future potential is also taken into account.
- Auditions will be held in the Music Precinct at Firbank Grammar School in the week commencing Monday, 22 February 2021 or an arranged alternate date. Candidates will be advised of times of auditions.
- Auditions last for approximately 20 minutes. Candidates will need to perform 2 contrasting pieces depending on length. We would suggest you include one accompanied work and one unaccompanied work. You will also be tested on your ability to sight-read and your aural ability – including such things as melodic recognition, intervals and rhythmic work. Candidates will need to provide their own accompanist if required.
- Prior to the choral audition, you will be required to sit a music aptitude test, which lasts for approximately 40 minutes.
- Applications should be accompanied by a reference, a copy of the most recent school report, NAPLAN results and recent AMEB examination reports or other information regarding musical attainment.
- Selected candidates will also have an interview with the Director of Admissions and the St Andrews Music Director or Vicar.
- Applications, together with a registration fee of $100 (GST inclusive), must be received by the Director of Admissions, Dr Jenny Peters, no later than Wednesday 27 January 2021.
- For further commitment details and information on the St Andrews Choir please click here.
Please fill out the form below to commence your application.