Firbank Students Excel – NAPLAN results 2019
Firbank Grammar’s students achieved excellent NAPLAN results across all subjects,
Principal Jenny Williams said that she “was delighted to see that at all year levels, Firbank students are performing well above the national average and have shown definite improvement in several areas, particularly in Numeracy.”
Overall results show significant individual student growth from Year 3 2017 to Year 5 2019. A highlight is the achievement in the Writing domain, which can be attributed to the emphasis both Junior campuses have placed on the teaching and learning of Writing.
Whilst recent media releases have stated that Writing results for Years 7 and 9 have decreased for the past decade, Firbank’s Writing results in 2019 have significantly increased for both Years 7 and 9.
At Year 7 Firbank has seen an increase in results over the last two years for Reading, Writing, Spelling and Numeracy. The Year 7 cohort achieved the best results on record for Numeracy.
At Year 9 Firbank has seen an increase in results over the last two years for Writing and Spelling. In Numeracy, Grammar and Punctuation we have seen a significant improvement over the last three years.
Jenny Williams said that “These results are a testament to an increased focus on Literacy and Numeracy, high impact teaching and learning, and Firbank’s continual curriculum improvement.”
Some of the highlights include:
- 100% of students achieved at or above the Year 3 National Minimum Standards (NMS) in all subject areas.Impressively, 92% of these students achieved the NMS for Year 5 and at least 75% achieved the NMS for Year 7. Almost 50% of the cohort achieved the NMS for Year 9, averaged across all subject areas.
- 100% of students achieved at or above the Year 5 NMS in all subject areas, with 99% achieving the NMS for Year 7 and 88% of the cohort achieving at or above the NMS for Year 9
- 100% of Year 7 students achieving at or above NMS across Reading. This means students are already at the NMS for Year 9 in Reading
- 99% of students at or above NMS in Spelling, Writing, Numeracy, Grammar and Punctuation
- 100% of Year 9 students achieving at or above NMS across Reading, Numeracy, Writing, Grammar and Punctuation
- 99% of Year 9 students at or above NMS in Spelling.
“Firbank Grammar continues to exceed educational standards and I am very pleased that our curriculum continues to improve our students’ learning,” said Ms Williams.